ON THIS DAY TEN YEARS AGO I became a member of the co-op gallery, GALLERY 267. I got my acceptance notice via a phone call from artist and steering committee member, Janet Richards. Acceptance also included me in April's NEW MEMBER Show. I planned to include "Blue Em" ( I DWELL IN POSSIBILITY ).
I had also planned to include Don't Let On That You Knew Me and Not A Girl Who Misses Much
I planned to us the payment from the recent Equinox Magazine job to pay for framing costs.
IN 2006 I shared my in-progress portrait of DAVID LYNCH
the ink sketch
the color sketch
the initial digital sketch
the digital under drawing:
my drawings and images with photos
IN 2008 I shared the process of my BOOKENDS PROJECT. Local artists were donating bookends where the sale money would go to benefit the DICKINSON MEMORIAL LIBRARY in Northfield, Massachusetts.
The back cover was quite easy. The whole collage came
off in one piece.
Here I remove the white tape and replace with archival
I place the glue in drops then spread it --painting it smooth--
with a stiff piece of paper.
Here I'm using a burnisher to flatten it out once it's been placed...
...but actually, I found it much easier to smooth it with my fingers. The whole thing became something more like a pre-school project in that the glue I needed to use was a very wet glue --like milky Elmer's Glue. (It needed to adhere to the woven texture of the book jacket so I couldn't get away with a glue stick method that works best on paper-to-paper situations) It would get a little messy --oozing out of the edges and all! Fortunately, it dries clear. And I was pretty quick to wipe up any excess.
The front cover required more "actual creation." The "rough layout" of the front images did not come off as one piece. Besides, there were some changes I wanted to make to it's design. I pretty much had to start from scratch. I removed everything but the image of Joyce Carol Oates and Virginia Woolf and Virginia's name. With her name still in place I could remove the image to apply glue to the back and then reposition. I tore some more edges from both Joyce and Stephen to have Joyce's name place better. Stephen was easy to place as his straight cut edges aligned with the book's edge. But Stephen needed to overlap Emily. So, I played a balancing act with two pieces getting one glued before the other. You can see where the formula for "messy" becomes a little more apparent.
Here are the bookends before the sealer coat --Mod Podge-- is applied. Tomorrow (or actually later today), I'll run out and pick up some matte finish Mod Podge.
Here's what the final product looked like:
IN 2009 I shared some images from a LIFE DRAWING class I was taking.
I also shared this story that illustrates just how much I get "into my art."
This is Kate. She's a great model. Everyone in the session agrees so she'll be back in two weeks.
These two drawings shown were executed like this:
The two top poses were done first and second, left to right. Then I switched papers for some reason. The portrait was done first then the challenging "laying on the floor" perspective piece. Then Kate struck the last pose. Only a twenty minute one. Though I had an array of colored pencils sharpened, I put the first sheet back on the easel and used just those red, yellows and browns to render that final portrait.
I got so into that last pose, I "fell over!"
What actually happened was, it was so low on my sheet and easel is not very adjustable, so, I split my legs to lower my torso to a more face-to-face with the sheet of paper. Somewhere during that twenty minutes, my leg fell asleep and I toppled over.
How embarrassing! I think I scared the Hell out of the model who was falling asleep!
IN 2011 I let a coworker read the soon-to-be self-published art magazine, Ain't gonna hand no pixel—an artist stops painting with paint. He was completely unaware of the process up until this point. He didn't know how the poem-story was written after all the images had been placed in this design. His comment was: "I like how you read the story then find bits of the story "retold" in the images. It's neat to see how the images were inspired by this simple story of a conversation."
I was thrilled with his review and began the process of going to print.
LAST YEAR I shared some early sketches and their finish counterparts from graphic-poem, FRANKENSTEIN meets SISTER MARY SHELLEY as a way to promote a show I had on display at the DICKINSON MEMORIAL LIBRARY in Northfield, Massachusetts.
THAT'S MARCH 22nd IN REVIEW!